Alaska Aquaculture Permitting

Lease and permit information for commercial marine aquaculture activities

Permits for commercial marine aquaculture activities

Governance of Aquaculture in Alaska

Aquaculture in Alaska is governed by the Alaska Statutes, federal law, and local ordinances overseen by several agencies. The Alaska Department of Natural Resources coordinates the review and distribution of the joint state application to other state authorizing agencies (Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Alaska Department of Fish and Game). The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers authorizes the placement of aquatic farm infrastructure in state of Alaska navigable waters in consultation with relevant federal agencies (National Marine Fisheries Service, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, State Historic Preservation Office) based on federal designations..

Local Ordinances: Contact your local city or borough to learn about local ordinances for aquaculture in your area.

State Statutes and Regulations:

●  Alaska Statutes (AS 16.40.100-199)

●  Alaska Department of Fish and Game Regulations (5 AAC 41.200-400)

Federal Regulations:

●  U.S. Rivers and Harbors Act (Sections 10 & 14; 33 U.S.C. Section 407 and Section 408)

●  Department of Defense, Corps of Engineers, Department of the Army Regulatory Program of the Corps of Engineers (33 C.F.R. 320-334)

●  U.S. Clean Water Act (Sections 401 & 404: 33 U.S.C., Sec. 1314)

●  National Environmental Policy Act (42 U.S.C. 4321 et.seq.)

●  U.S. Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act (16 U.S.C.)

●  Marine Mammal Protection Act (Section 302; 16 U.S.C.)

●  Endangered Species Act (Section 7; (16 U.S.C. 1531 et.seq.)

●  Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (Essential Fish Habitat provisions; Section 305; 16 U.S.C. 1801 et.seq.)

●  National Historic Preservation Act (Section 106; 16 U.S.C. 470)